[syslog-ng]Documentation/manual etc..

Balazs Scheidler bazsi@balabit.hu
Fri, 9 Nov 2001 09:51:41 +0100

On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 11:09:44AM +0800, bretwatson@charteredsemi.com wrote:
> Hi Baltasar,
> some questions on the options list....
>
> I've dug through the cfg-lex.l file and found it is looking for a bunch of
> options - some of which exist int eh current docs.. so some questions:
>
> What does "Keep_hostname" do?

to not touch the hostname part of the received message, and leave it intact.

> is "use_fqdn" the same as "long_hostnames"?

no, long_hostnames is an alias to chain_hostnames, the latter being the
preferred one. (this ambiguity caused me to change it)

use_fqdn means to use fully qualified domain names, otherwise the domain is
chopped after the first '.' character in the hostname.

> What does "gc_threshold" do?

gc_threshold is the same as gc_busy_threshold

> What does "create_dir" do?

if macro expansion is used in destination filenames, directory references to
non-existing directories can be made, if create_dir is true, those
directories are automatically created.

> and what about the following? are any enabled?
> localip, ip, localport, port, destport, owner, group, perm, dir_owner,
> dir_group, dir_perm, keep-alive, keep_alive, max-connections, mac,
> authentication, encrypt, required, allow, deny. compress

mac, authentication, encrypt and compress each accept one of triple as
argument: required, allow or deny, though none of these are currently
implemented.

All the other options are (or supposed to be ) working:

localip & localport:  specifies the source ip & port of a connection (before
connection is made, useful if your box has several IPs)

ip means localip for sources

destport: specifies the destination port for destinations

owner, group, perm: file permission information for created files

dir_owner, dir_group, dir_perm: directory permission information for created dirs

keep-alive, keep_alive: do not drop connections when the config is reloaded

max-connections: how many concurrent connections are permitted at a time