[syslog-ng] syslog-ng

Stefan Monnier monnier@cs.yale.edu
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 16:55:44 -0400

Why is a `source' necessary in a `log' statement ?
the example configuration in
http://www.balabit.hu/products/syslog-ng/syslog-ng-1.1.22.html
clearly shows that this has the nasty tendency to be verbose and
redundant.  Why not allow the set of sources to be empty in which case
the source is the same as the last `log' statement (for example) ?
Also having the words `source' `filter' and `destination'
appear all the time seems too verbose.  They don't seem to be necessary.
I'd love to be able to say

	destination console { file /dev/tty11; };
	log { ; facility(ppp); console }

where the redundant keywords have been dropped, the default source is
used and the filter appears directly in the `log' command.

Apart from that, I have some trouble checking out the CVS repository:

~/install-1% cvs -d :pserver:cvs@cvs.balabit.hu:/usr/local/cvs checkout -d syslog-ng syslog-ng libol
cvs server: Updating syslog-ng/syslog-ng
cvs server: failed to create lock directory in repository `/usr/local/cvs/syslog-ng': Permission denied
cvs server: failed to obtain dir lock in repository `/usr/local/cvs/syslog-ng'
cvs [server aborted]: read lock failed - giving up
~/install-1%

[ the login went though flawlessly ]

	Stefan "very happy about syslog-ng despite the present gripes"

PS: I wish syslog-ng were a perl script so that the config file could use
    the full perl power (and you'd have saved all the parsing trouble: just
    say "do '/etc/syslogng.conf';" and that's it).