[syslog-ng] Re: syslog-ng

Balazs Scheidler bazsi@balabit.hu
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 22:29:50 +0200

On Tue, Aug 10, 1999 at 04:55:44PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> Why is a `source' necessary in a `log' statement ?
> the example configuration in
> http://www.balabit.hu/products/syslog-ng/syslog-ng-1.1.22.html
> clearly shows that this has the nasty tendency to be verbose and
> redundant.  Why not allow the set of sources to be empty in which case
> the source is the same as the last `log' statement (for example) ?
> Also having the words `source' `filter' and `destination'
> appear all the time seems too verbose.  They don't seem to be necessary.
> I'd love to be able to say
>
> 	destination console { file /dev/tty11; };
> 	log { ; facility(ppp); console }
>
> where the redundant keywords have been dropped, the default source is
> used and the filter appears directly in the `log' command.

You can reference several sources in a log statement:

log { source(s1); source(s2); filter(f1); filter(f2); destination(d1);
      destination(d2); };

Maybe I'll implement an alternative syntax:

log { source(s1, s2); filter(f1, f2); destination(d1, d2); };

> Apart from that, I have some trouble checking out the CVS repository:
>
> ~/install-1% cvs -d :pserver:cvs@cvs.balabit.hu:/usr/local/cvs checkout -d syslog-ng syslog-ng libol
> cvs server: Updating syslog-ng/syslog-ng
> cvs server: failed to create lock directory in repository `/usr/local/cvs/syslog-ng': Permission denied
> cvs server: failed to obtain dir lock in repository `/usr/local/cvs/syslog-ng'
> cvs [server aborted]: read lock failed - giving up
> ~/install-1%

Hm... Since I am the only one developing syslog-ng right now, and since I
maintain synchronize the public CVS by hand (which I occasionally forget),
and since I always release a new version if it's worth, I think I'll take
the CVS tree down.

> PS: I wish syslog-ng were a perl script so that the config file could use
>     the full perl power (and you'd have saved all the parsing trouble: just
>     say "do '/etc/syslogng.conf';" and that's it).

syslog-ng is used on sites with very high log traffic. (2Gb logs a day), if
it were a perl script, this couldn't be done.

     url: http://www.balabit.hu/pgpkey.txt