[zorp] Zorp slows down web page viewing?

Joseph Kim zorp@lists.balabit.hu
Wed, 4 May 2005 13:53:46 -0700

Thank you for your reply.

Your suggestion worked just fine. I went even further and I used verbose=0,
and it is much faster now.

And, for my own curiosity, I tried to compare the throughputs between using
zorp and without using zorp.
In one configuration, I download a webpage 100 times through the machine
with zorp running. In other configuration, I download the same webpage 100
times directly from our internet gateway router without going through the
zorp machine.

To my surpise, I got the following results:

Each test includes 100 downloads.

Test #                                Average throughput
Configuration                    Zorp                      Direct
1                                  737.4 Kbps             642.7 Kbps
2                                  711.7 Kbps             646.9 Kbps
3                                  721.6 Kbps             615.7 Kbps

According to the result, zorp actually made the connection faster.
What kind of magic are you guys playing?

Joseph