[zorp] OT: Debian Install

Balazs Scheidler zorp@lists.balabit.hu
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 15:00:29 +0200

hi,

On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 21:29, Phil Moors wrote:
> Pardon my Debian ignorance. I've been using RH/FC for a long time. And,
> well, Slackware before it had SysVinit support. My questions are about
> getting Zorp installed the Debian way.
>
> I got zorp up and running on FC1, but decided to pave it in favor of a
> Debian install so I can take advantage of your .deb packages for
> updates.
>
> Should I start with 'stable' and a 2.4 kernel or 'testing'? Stable seems
> to support the Zorp python/glib requirements better than testing.

The best way to use Zorp currently is to bootstrap a system with Debian
woody (aka stable) and update it from our ZorpOS repository. You can do
that by simply installing a base woody system, and then adding the
following lines to your /etc/apt/sources.list file:

deb http://apt.balabit.com/zorp-gpl-os zorp-os-2.1/2.1 zorp-os zorp-gpl zorp-common
deb http://apt.balabit.com/zorp-gpl-os zorp-os-2.1/2.1 zorp-os zorp-gpl zorp-common

Then update your woody install using
apt-get update & apt-get dist-upgrade

> After getting the correct OS installed, should I compile and install a
> patched kernel and then point apt to your repository and do a
> dist-upgrade? Or, can I just do a dist-upgrade pointed to your
> repository and automatically get a pre-compiled kernel?

There's a precompiled kernel in our repository, but you have to have a
running system first. The kernel version numbering is quite simple:
the vanilla kernel version combined with our patch-tree version. For
example, our current kernel is 2.4.25-11.2. The patch-tree version has
two digits for stable releases, and three digits for testing. For
example the next test release would be 2.4.25-11.2.1

We currently have two patchtree branches:
2.4.25-11.x which is current stable, includes tproxy 1.2.1
2.4.25-12.x which will be the next stable, which includes tproxy 2.0 and
a couple of other patches.

The kernels are precompiled for a couple of architectures (pentium4,
pentium, athlon IIRC), but you can compile it yourself either using the
source package that we provide, or grabbing the patch-tree and the
vanilla kernel and patching it yourself.

The patch-tree is available at:

http://www.balabit.com/downloads/kernel-patches/

> In RH/FC land, kernel upgrades automatically come when running up2date.
> This doesn't seem to be the default for Debian. Do new binary kernels
> always have to be manually retrieved and installed in Debian?

The answer is: it depends. The package name include the major kernel
release, thus it is not automatically updated between kernel revisions.
However our patchtree version number is only included as the debian
revision number, thus our pre-compiled kernels are automatically updated
once you issue "apt-get upgrade".

> I think I just need a general roadmap for getting set up to connect to
> your repository.

As I previously described, a bare bone woody, and set up your
sources.list file to point to our repository.

> Really dumb question:
> Tasksel keeps installing an X environment even when I forgo checking the
> box. Not a big deal for a development box, but I really don't want this
> on a production box. Is there an easy way to get a development
> environment without X? I imagine that you don't even use tasksel. What
> do you use?

I immediately exit the installation once the basic system is up and
running and pull everything using apt by hand, it handles dependencies
nicely.