[zorp] OT: Debian Install

Phil Moors zorp@lists.balabit.hu
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 15:29:42 -0400

Pardon my Debian ignorance. I've been using RH/FC for a long time. And,
well, Slackware before it had SysVinit support. My questions are about
getting Zorp installed the Debian way.

I got zorp up and running on FC1, but decided to pave it in favor of a
Debian install so I can take advantage of your .deb packages for
updates.

Should I start with 'stable' and a 2.4 kernel or 'testing'? Stable seems
to support the Zorp python/glib requirements better than testing.

After getting the correct OS installed, should I compile and install a
patched kernel and then point apt to your repository and do a
dist-upgrade? Or, can I just do a dist-upgrade pointed to your
repository and automatically get a pre-compiled kernel?

In RH/FC land, kernel upgrades automatically come when running up2date.
This doesn't seem to be the default for Debian. Do new binary kernels
always have to be manually retrieved and installed in Debian?

I think I just need a general roadmap for getting set up to connect to
your repository.

Really dumb question:
Tasksel keeps installing an X environment even when I forgo checking the
box. Not a big deal for a development box, but I really don't want this
on a production box. Is there an easy way to get a development
environment without X? I imagine that you don't even use tasksel. What
do you use?

Thanks,
Phil