[tproxy] proxy app and server app on the same host

U.Mutlu for-forums at mutluit.com
Sun Jan 18 03:23:09 CET 2015

Hi John,

John Lauro wrote, On 01/18/2015 01:59 AM:
> I have done used it with single interface on the box running tproxy and
> the server on the same subnet also with a single interface. (Technically
> they have extra interfaces with policy based routing for handling outgoing
> connections differently, but probably not strictly required unless you are
> doing ANYCAST).

yes, my current working solution is similar, but now I need to run
both the server app and the proxy app on the same box.

> I would think that at a minimum, if you run on the same box and want to
> reuse the client's ip on the application, you will have to use a secondary
> IP on the same interface, or possibly a loopback interface.  You might
> have to setup policy based routing from that secondary IP so it stays
> local, just a guess.  Is it ok to bind the app to listen on 127.0.0.1
> or some other secondary IP?

Have you in practice used such a single-box solution?
If yes, I would very much appreciate if you could post the relevant steps
(iptables, ip route etc.).

As said. I already tried this by binding the server app to a secondary IP,
but I guess my other stuff (iptables, rules, routes) wasn't right.

> Easier would be if you could loose the client IP info on the app (track
> or tag it with the proxy) and just recreate a new session...  but I assume
> that is not an option...

Hmm. I try to avoid this in favour of keeping the tproxying independent
of the capabilities of the server app(s).

Thx
Uenal