[tproxy] Can't get TPROXY working with squid

Carvaka Guru carvakaguru at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 20:40:13 CET 2015

Yes, I did and tried the recommendations there too but that is a much more
complicated setup.

Mine is a simple setup where I have a client PC (192.168.25.107) connected
directly to my linux firewall router on eth1 (192.168.25.1). The eth0
(10.1.20.204) of the router is connected to the internet.

Router has -
1. squid3 3.4.8
2. iptables 1.4.14
3. libcap2
4. libcap2-dev

Squid config has the directive -
http_port 3128 tproxy

iptables is setup with the following directives -

iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT
iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT
iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 MASQUERADE

iptables -t mangle -N DIVERT
iptables -t mangle -A DIVERT -j MARK --set-mark 111
iptables -t mangle -A DIVERT -j ACCEPT
iptables  -t mangle -A PREROUTING -p tcp --match socket -j DIVERT

iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -p tcp --match multiport --dport
http,http-alt -j TPROXY --on-port 3128 --tproxy-mark 111

routing config is -
ip -f inet rule add fwmark 111 lookup 100
ip -f inet route add local default dev lo table 100

The moment I add the second line (ip route), all HTTP traffic gets
black-holed. Not sure where it is going.

I have enabled logging in Squid "ALL,2" which usually shows detailed
traffic traversing through squid but with this setup, nothing!