[tproxy] Debian K2.6 + wccp + tproxy squid 2.6 stable15

Nicolas Royo nicolasroyo at yahoo.com
Thu May 17 07:08:59 CEST 2007

Hi fellows,

hope you can help me out with a problem im still having.
The problem is quite simple and complicated

we are on a small isp, trying to implement squid without "the user noticing it"
we´ve come very far reading your lists and googling squids tproxy.

on a linux box, only one eth0, with a gre0, with a cisco 7200.
kernel and iptables patched with lasts cttproxys :D

iptables -L -t tproxy
Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT)
TPROXY     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:www TPROXY redirect
0.0.0.0:3128

> #####squid Conf.#####
> http_port 3128 tproxy transparent
> hierarchy_stoplist cgi-bin ?
> acl QUERY urlpath_regex cgi-bin \?
> cache deny QUERY
> acl apache rep_header Server ^Apache
> broken_vary_encoding allow apache
> access_log /usr/local/squid/var/logs/access.log
> squid
> refresh_pattern ^ftp: 1440 20% 10080
> refresh_pattern ^gopher: 1440 0% 1440
> refresh_pattern . 0 20% 4320
> acl all src 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
> acl manager proto cache_object
> acl localhost src 127.0.0.1/255.255.255.255
> acl Safe_ports port 80 # http
> acl Safe_ports port 21 # ftp
> acl Safe_ports port 443 # https
> acl Safe_ports port 70 # gopher
> acl Safe_ports port 210 # wais
> acl Safe_ports port 1025-65535 # unregistered ports
> acl Safe_ports port 280 # http-mgmt
> acl Safe_ports port 488 # gss-http
> acl Safe_ports port 591 # filemaker
> acl Safe_ports port 777 # multiling http
> acl to_localhost dst 127.0.0.0/8
> acl SSL_ports port 443
> acl Safe_ports port 80 # http
> acl Safe_ports port 21 # ftp
> acl Safe_ports port 443 # https
> acl Safe_ports port 70 # gopher
> acl Safe_ports port 210 # wais
> acl Safe_ports port 1025-65535 # unregistered ports
> acl Safe_ports port 280 # http-mgmt
> acl Safe_ports port 488 # gss-http
> acl Safe_ports port 591 # filemaker
> acl Safe_ports port 777 # multiling http
> acl CONNECT method CONNECT
> http_access allow manager localhost
> http_access deny manager
> http_access deny !Safe_ports
> http_access deny CONNECT !SSL_ports
> acl our_networks src 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
> http_access allow our_networks
> http_access deny all
> http_reply_access allow all
> icp_access allow all
> visible_hostname debian-sq
> wccp2_router XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
> wccp_version 4
> wccp2_forwarding_method 1
> wccp2_return_method 1
> wccp2_assignment_method 1
> coredump_dir /usr/local/squid/var/cache
> via off
> forwarded_for off

with this last 2 options, we have played a lot.
if set it on, client ip is passing through the squid, url`s like www.whatsmyipadress.com
are still detecting a proxy behind it! :(

if set off, squid ip is reaching final url, but squid is not being detected.

as far as i can tell, is that if i set the parameter:
tcp_outgoing_adress x.x.x.x
and adding another iptables rule and NIC to the linux box, the requesting page on the
client browser "dies" (keeps waiting till it times out(
so no tcp_outgoing_adress is have to be set up in order to surf withouth problems

BUT

if not set up, on syslog and squid.out i can see:
squid-RC9 squid[26519]: tproxy ip=[x.x.x.x--->client address here],0xa4e851c8,port=0
ERROR ASSIGN

what else should i have to check?

there is a hardware solution that has been offered to us.....bluecoat SG.........that is
covering all these needs by our boss.

but it is a so expensive product in a country like ours (argentina) that we cant afford
it...........we bet on tproxy´s magic........we still believe

Thanx in advance

Nicolas