[tproxy] UDP tproxy

Javier Govea javier@magma.ca
Thu, 14 Oct 2004 17:45:37 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

I've been googling for some information about using tproxy for UDP traffic but I am still
a bit confiused. I hope you guys can help me out.

I want to intercept, at the application layer with a C written program, all UDP traffic,
and then obtain the final destionation IP address and port.

So, please correct me if I am wrong, I need two rules:

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -j DNAT --to-dest 192.168.1.10
iptables -t tproxy -A PREROUTING -j TPROXY --on-port 1025

These two rules suppose to redirect all UDP traffic to my box (192.168.1.10) to my C
program listening to port 1025, am i right?

Now, my C program needs to obtain the payload, original destination IP address and port is
below. However I receive no ancilliary data, in my program msgh.msg_controllen is always
equal to zero.

Any suggestions??

All ideas are very welcomed.

Thank you
Xavier

PS. Here is the code:

int main()
{
  int fd;
  struct sockaddr_in myAddr;
  struct sockaddr_in originalAddr;

  struct msghdr msgh;
  struct iovec v;
  unsigned char acilliarydatabuff[1000];

  unsigned char buffer[MAXBUFFSIZE];
  int bytes;

  if ((fd = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM, 0)) == -1)
	return 0;

  memset((char *)&myAddr, 0x0, sizeof(struct sockaddr_in));
  myAddr.sin_family      = AF_INET;
  myAddr.sin_port        = htons(1025);
  myAddr.sin_addr.s_addr = htonl(INADDR_ANY);

  if (bind(fd, (struct sockaddr *)&myAddr, sizeof(struct sockaddr_in)) == -1)
	return 0;

  /* QUESTION 1:
   *   Do I need to use getsockopt or setsockopt in here???
   *   If so, what exactly should I pass as paramenters to getsockopt or setsockopt
   *   Krisztian Kovacs, in a message posted in this list on 07 Jul 2004, mentions
   *   that I need to use getsockopt, but I'm not sure about the
   *   paramenters I need to pass, can somebody please clarify this point?
   */

  for(;;) {

    /* QUESTION 2:
     *   The same message posted by Krisztian Kovacs mentions that I need to use
     *   recvmsg and that the original destination IP address and port is the
     *   acilliary data. Is the following code correct??? Is that how I suppose to
     *   extract the payload, original destination IP address and port
     *   from the ancilliary data?
     */

    memset((char *)&originalAddr, 0x0, sizeof(struct sockaddr_in));

    memset(&msgh, 0, sizeof(msgh));
    msgh.msg_name       = &originalAddr;
    msgh.msg_namelen    = sizeof(struct sockaddr_in);
    v.iov_base          = buffer;
    v.iov_len           = MAXBUFFSIZE;
    msgh.msg_iov        = &v;
    msgh.msg_iovlen     = 1;
    msgh.msg_control    = acilliarydatabuff;
    msgh.msg_controllen = 1000;

    if ( (bytes = recvmsg(fd, &msgh, 0)) == -1 )
	continue;

    // Get ancilliary data
    struct cmsghdr *cmsg;
    if (msgh.msg_controllen > 0)
      for (cmsg = CMSG_FIRSTHDR(&msgh); cmsg!=NULL; cmsg = CMSG_NXTHDR(&msgh,cmsg))
      {
     	/* QUESTION 3:
	 *   Is the payload suppose to be in cdata?
         */
        void *cdata = CMSG_DATA(cmsg);

        /* QUESTION 4:
         *    The original destination IP address and port are in msgh.msg_name???
	 */
	sockaddr_in *originalDst = (sockaddr_in *)(msgh.msg_name);

	/* Original destination IP address in originalDst->sin_addr.s_addr and
         * original destination port in originalDst->sin_port
         * Does any of this make any sense???
         */
      }
  }