[tproxy] Question about warning message

Balazs Scheidler bazsi@balabit.hu
Mon, 25 Aug 2003 19:54:35 +0200

On Sun, Aug 24, 2003 at 08:08:54AM +0300, Yuval Pemper wrote:
> While running stress tests on our application, which uses the tproxy
> patch, we see the following warning messages in dmesg:
>
> IP_TPROXY: error applying NAT mapping, hooknum=4 ....
>
> This warning message comes from the function ip_tproxy_setup_nat_bidir in
> iptable_tproxy.c. It's printed if the result of calling ip_nat_setup_info
> is different than NF_ACCEPT.
>
> I'm not sure what this warning means. The ip_tproxy_setup_nat_bidir
> function continues normally after the warning is printed out. Any help in
> shedding light on this will be greatly appreciated.

This means that the request NAT mapping to the given foreign addr:port pair
was reserved by another possibly timewaiting connection. I am currently
thinking on adding a feature which would make source port allocation more
liberal.

This usually means that the connection initiated by the proxy will go out
unNATed with the source address it originally bound to.