[syslog-ng] Learning syslog-ng

Peter Czanik (pczanik) Peter.Czanik at oneidentity.com
Wed Apr 5 10:35:37 UTC 2023

Hi,

Last year, one of the returning questions I received was how to learn syslog-ng. My answer was that read the first few chapters of the documentation, read my blogs related to your use case, and then read a few relevant parts from the rest of the documentation. Our documentation is praised by users, but it is still a reference documentation. I was asked if a less detailed, more to the point, preferably video tutorial is available.

Your request was heard. In the past couple of months, I published a tutorial series in blog and video format, which brings you from basic logging concepts to using syslog-ng to collect, parse, enrich log messages and store them to Elasticsearch. Of course, these 5-10 minute videos are not enough to learn anything in depth, but they introduce you to all major syslog-ng functionalities.

Even if you are a seasoned syslog-ng user, there is a good chance that you will learn something new from this introductory tutorial series: the “if” statement, in-line configuration elements, the inlist() filter or the JSON template function, just to name a few.

If you have roughly 1.5 hours, then I recommend going through all the videos from the beginning to the end. You can reach the play list on YouTube at: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoBNbOHNb0i5Pags2JY6-6wH2noLaSiTb

If you would rather pick only a few topics from the tutorial series, here is a table of contents, with short summaries, pointers to the blog and video versions and the related parts from the documentation. Unfortunately, the documentation for the latest version is not available yet, pointers are included to the web version of the syslog-ng version 3.37 documentation: https://peter.czanik.hu/posts/syslog-ng-tutorial-toc/

Of course, once you read/watched my syslog-ng tutorials, reading the blogs and relevant parts of the documentation is still highly recommended.

Please share this news if you know anyone who wants to learn syslog-ng!

Bye,
CzP

Peter Czanik (CzP) <peter.czanik at oneidentity.com>
Balabit (a OneIdentity company) / syslog-ng upstream
https://syslog-ng.com/community/
https://twitter.com/PCzanik