[syslog-ng] Insider 2022-04: typing; sudo; Zinc; Elastic Cloud; 3.36;

Peter Czanik (pczanik) Peter.Czanik at oneidentity.com
Thu Apr 21 10:01:06 UTC 2022

Dear syslog-ng users,

This is the 100th issue of syslog-ng Insider, a monthly newsletter that brings you syslog-ng-related news.

NEWS

syslog-ng 4 theme: typing
-------------------------
Balázs Scheidler, founder of the syslog-ng project, describes a major new syslog-ng version 4.0 feature: typing.
“syslog-ng traditionally assumes that log data, even if it comes in a structured form (like RFC5424 structured data or JSON) is primarily textual in nature. For this reason, name-value pairs in syslog-ng are text values just as the log message as a whole.”
Read the rest of the blog  to learn how typing helps not just when forwarding logs to Elasticsearch and others, but also when doing routing decisions: https://syslog-ng-future.blog/syslog-ng-4-theme-typing/

Working with JSON logs from sudo in syslog-ng
>From this blog you will learn how to work with JSON formatted logs in syslog-ng and also about new sudo features along the way: JSON logging in sudo, chroot support, logging sub-commands, and how to work with these logs in syslog-ng.
https://www.syslog-ng.com/community/b/blog/posts/working-with-json-logs-from-sudo-in-syslog-ng

Elasticsearch 8 and syslog-ng
-----------------------------
General availability of Elasticsearch 8 was announced recently. There were quite a few rumors that it will break compatibility with third party tools. I tested it as soon as I had a little time: I am happy to share that anything I tested with the elasticsearch-http() destination of syslog-ng still seems to work perfectly well with the latest version of Elasticsearch.
https://www.syslog-ng.com/community/b/blog/posts/elasticsearch-8-and-syslog-ng

Contacting the syslog-ng team: reporting problems, asking questions
Recently I got some complaints that it is difficult to figure out how to contact the syslog-ng team to get help or report problems. Most of this information is available both on the syslog-ng website and at the syslog-ng repository on GitHub, but collecting here all information might be still useful for some people.
https://www.syslog-ng.com/community/b/blog/posts/contacting-the-syslog-ng-team-reporting-problems-asking-questions

WEBINARS

* Register for our latest webinars at https://www.syslog-ng.com/event/syslogng-webcast-series-2022/
* You can browse recordings of past webinars at https://www.syslog-ng.com/events/

Your feedback and news, or tips about the next issue are welcome. To read this newsletter online, visit: https://syslog-ng.com/blog/

Peter Czanik (CzP) <peter.czanik at oneidentity.com>
Balabit (a OneIdentity company) / syslog-ng upstream
https://syslog-ng.com/community/
https://twitter.com/PCzanik