[syslog-ng] syslog-ng-3.35.1

Attila Szakacs (aszakacs) Attila.Szakacs at oneidentity.com
Mon Nov 15 11:53:07 UTC 2021

3.35.1
syslog-ng OSE APT repository

>From now on, Ubuntu and Debian packages will be published with every syslog-ng release in the form of an APT repository.

We, syslog-ng developers, provide these packages and the APT repository "as is" without warranty of any kind,
on a best-effort level.

Currently, syslog-ng packages are released for the following distribution versions (x86-64):

  *   Debian: bullseye, buster, stretch, sid, testing
  *   Ubuntu: Impish, Focal, Bionic, Xenial

For instructions on how to install syslog-ng on Debian/Ubuntu distributions, see the
README<https://github.com/syslog-ng/syslog-ng/blob/master/README.md#debianubuntu>.

Highlights

  *   throttle(): added a new filter that allows rate limiting messages based on arbitrary keys in each message.
Note: messages over the rate limit are dropped (just like in any other filter).

filter f_throttle {
  throttle(
    template("$HOST")
    rate(5000)
  );
};

(#3781<https://github.com/syslog-ng/syslog-ng/pull/3781>)

  *   mqtt(): added a new source that can be used to receive messages using the MQTT protocol.
Supported transports: tcp, ws, ssl, wss

Example config:

source {
    mqtt{
        topic("sub1"),
        address("tcp://localhost:4445")
    };
};

(#3809<https://github.com/syslog-ng/syslog-ng/pull/3809>)

Features

  *   afsocket: Socket options, such as ip-ttl() or tcp-keepalive-time(), are
traditionally named by their identifier defined in socket(7) and unix(7) man
pages. This was not the case with the pass-unix-credentials() option, which -
unlike other similar options - was also possible to set globally.

A new option called so-passcred() is now introduced, which works similarly
how other socket related options do, which also made possible a nice code
cleanup in the related code sections. Of course the old name remains
supported in compatibility modes.

The PR also implements a new source flag ignore-aux-data, which causes
syslog-ng not to propagate transport-level auxiliary information to log
messages. Auxiliary information includes for example the pid/uid of the
sending process in the case of UNIX based transports, OR the X.509
certificate information in case of SSL/TLS encrypted data streams.

By setting flags(ignore-aux-data) one can improve performance at the cost of
making this information unavailable in the log messages received through
affected sources.
(#3670<https://github.com/syslog-ng/syslog-ng/pull/3670>)

  *   network: add support for PROXY header before TLS payload

This new transport method called proxied-tls-passthrough is capable of detecting the
PROXY header<http://www.haproxy.org/download/1.8/doc/proxy-protocol.txt> before the TLS payload.
Loggen has been updated with the--proxied-tls-passthrough option for testing purposes.

source s_proxied_tls_passthrough{
  network(
    port(1234)
    transport("proxied-tls-passthrough"),
    tls(
      key-file("/path/to/server_key.pem"),
      cert-file("/path/to/server_cert.pem"),
      ca-dir("/path/to/ca/")
    )
  );
};

(#3770<https://github.com/syslog-ng/syslog-ng/pull/3770>)

  *   mqtt() destination: added client-id option. It specifies the unique client ID sent to the broker.
(#3809<https://github.com/syslog-ng/syslog-ng/pull/3809>)

Bugfixes

  *   unset(), groupunset(): fix unwanted removal of values on different log paths

Due to a copy-on-write bug, unset() and groupunset() not only removed values
from the appropriate log paths, but from all the others where the same message
went through. This has been fixed.
(#3803<https://github.com/syslog-ng/syslog-ng/pull/3803>)

  *   regexp-parser(): fix storing unnamed capture groups under prefix()
(#3810<https://github.com/syslog-ng/syslog-ng/pull/3810>)

  *   loggen: cannot detect plugins on platforms with non .so shared libs (osx)
(#3832<https://github.com/syslog-ng/syslog-ng/pull/3832>)

Packaging

  *   debian/control: Added libcriterion-dev as a build dependency, where it is available from APT.
(debian-bullseye, debian-testing, debian-sid)
(#3794<https://github.com/syslog-ng/syslog-ng/pull/3794>)

  *   centos-7: kafka and mqtt modules are now packaged.

The following packages are used as dependencies:

     *   librdkafka-devel from EPEL 7
     *   paho-c-devel from copr:copr.fedorainfracloud.org:czanik:syslog-ng-githead
(#3797<https://github.com/syslog-ng/syslog-ng/pull/3797>)
  *   debian: Added bullseye support.
(#3794<https://github.com/syslog-ng/syslog-ng/pull/3794>)

  *   bison: support build with bison 3.8
(#3784<https://github.com/syslog-ng/syslog-ng/pull/3784>)

Notes to developers

  *   dbld: As new distributions use python3 by default it makes sense to explicitly state older platforms which use python2
instead of the other way around, so it is not necessary to add that new platform to the python3 case.
(#3780<https://github.com/syslog-ng/syslog-ng/pull/3780>)

  *   dbld: move dbld image cache from DockerHub to GitHub

In 2021, GitHub introduced the GitHub Packages service. Among other
repositories - it provides a standard Docker registry. DBLD uses
this registry, to avoid unnecessary rebuilding of the images.
(#3782<https://github.com/syslog-ng/syslog-ng/pull/3782>)

Credits

syslog-ng is developed as a community project, and as such it relies
on volunteers, to do the work necessarily to produce syslog-ng.

Reporting bugs, testing changes, writing code or simply providing
feedback are all important contributions, so please if you are a user
of syslog-ng, contribute.

We would like to thank the following people for their contribution:

Andras Mitzki, Antal Nemes, Attila Szakacs, Balazs Scheidler,
Balázs Barkó, Benedek Cserhati, Colin Douch, Gabor Nagy, Laszlo Szemere,
László Várady, Norbert Takacs, Parrag Szilárd, Peter Czanik (CzP),
Peter Kokai, Robert Paschedag, Ryan Faircloth, Szilárd Parrag,
Thomas Klausner, Zoltan Pallagi