[syslog-ng] Redhat repo

Evan Rempel erempel at uvic.ca
Fri Mar 29 15:13:40 UTC 2019

I don't have a versioning issue with versioned repos. After all, that is what all of the
OS repos are: Redhat 6, Sientific Linux 7, Centos 8, Debian 9, Ubunto 16 etc.

The issue I have with syslog-ng in specific is that once a new version comes out,
the previous version is abandoned. No bug fixes. No security fixes etc.
This is NOT the same as the OS versions repos where bug fixes and security fixes
are continued within the repo.

What is being suggested in this thread is for major version repo to be created and
maintained in the long term support (LTS) role. Given the history of version numbers for
syslog-ng there is no clear major version transition. Syslog-ng3 (3.0 thorught 3.19)
has been changing, breaking and adding new features for nearly 6 years. That's
about 3 releases per year. Without some automated update process this is impossible to
keep up with for anything more that a handful of systems.

Some thought as to designing a policy around when a new major version should be created
and supported the long term support and then automatic updates (not upgrades) would be possible
within that major version and its associated repo. A balance needs to be found between frequency
of releases and how many versions need to be supported. I would recommend only 1 release per
year that is supported. That would limit the number of supported versions to no more than 5.
Possibly include an unsupported head for folks that absolutely need a latest feature before the
year it is released. That group can transition to the released version once it is released as a
supported version.

With regards to the duration of the long term support, I think that 3 years is a little short.
With a 3 year LTS cycle organizations that use syslog-ng would have to start the planning, testing
and approval process perhaps as frequently as every 2 years. Redhat basic support is 5 years
with extended support pushiing that out to 7 years. That cycle might be a little long and costly for the
vendor/community to support that long.

I would propose nothing shorter than 4 years, so that customers can do the planning, testing, approval
and upgrade process every 3 years at a minimum.