[syslog-ng] syslog-ng moving to its own organization on github

Scheidler, Balázs balazs.scheidler at oneidentity.com
Mon Apr 1 15:02:36 UTC 2019

Hi,

syslog-ng as an open source project has long been supported and sponsored
by a company called Balabit (which I personally was the founder of), hence
syslog-ng related online resources like the github project was published
under github.com/balabit. Since Balabit was acquired last January by One
Identity (www.oneidentity.com), going forward, the Balabit branding is not
the right one for the syslog-ng project.

Since the acquisition, all on-line syslog-ng presence was concentrated
under the "syslog-ng" brand. An example for this is the website, which is
now at www.syslog-ng.com. In a similar way, developer and open source
related resources should follow suit.

Our plan is to use "syslog-ng" everywhere where we were using "balabit".
This includes github, dockerhub, gitter, slack, mailing list etc.

We expect that the transition will take time, and that old links, chat
rooms, docker images will work for a time yet, redirects will be there for
those of us still using the old links. However it is a good idea to update
bookmarks & git remotes that this will work on the long run.

Over time, the name "Balabit" will fade a bit, at least within the
syslog-ng community, but that's good. That's progress.

Cheers,
Bazsi
founder of syslog-ng
founder of Balabit