[syslog-ng] syslog-ng parsing Error

David Campeau David.Campeau at tn.gov
Thu Jun 21 16:11:47 UTC 2018

Hello,

I have a syslog source node sending syslogs, and they are being generated via a python script, and is using Python Rfc5426SysLogHandler.  So, these syslog messages should be RFC compliant.  However, syslog-ng does prepend an error message before sending it on to be put into storage.

Example error message from syslog-ng =   <43>Jun 21 10:27:38 syslog-ng-Server syslog-ng[2559]: Error processing log message:  xxxxx timestamp, source hostname and payload follows.

I've done some googling, but haven't been able to find out what error 2559 means.

Any thoughts of what I might do to determine what syslog-ng isn't liking about the syslog it is receiving?  I need to relay this information to a developer so they can make adjustments to the python script.

Best regards,

David