[syslog-ng] syslog-ng.com upgrade

Fabien Wernli wernli at in2p3.fr
Mon Jul 2 15:19:44 UTC 2018

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 02, 2018 at 04:02:34PM +0200, Gergely Bodnár wrote:
> - The older syslog-ng Open Source Edition documentation (prior 3.16) is
> available only in PDF format.
> - Going forward, only multi-page HTML and PDF versions will be available of
> the Administrator' Guide. Single page guides are no longer offered.

One of the big advantages of syslog-ng over its competitors has always been
its awesome documentation. Throughout the
years during which I've been part of the community, many users have
applaused the quality of the online manual. More precisely, the
fact that the documentation is versioned is a huge killer feature, and
immensely useful to assist new users that always use a different
version than the latest.

PDF integration is still not as fluid in the browser (and search engines),
and single-page HTML are so much handier to search.

Suffice it to say that this decision is IMHO a big mistake, and I hope
others will step up to join me in that understatement.