[syslog-ng] 3.13 maintenance branch

Fabien Wernli wernli at in2p3.fr
Tue Jan 9 08:51:37 UTC 2018

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 09, 2018 at 08:56:35AM +0100, Scheidler, Balázs wrote:
> At this point, I take this as an experiment: if publishing fixes this way
> "works" (e.g. fixes get published in the OS packages that we don't maintain
> ourselves), then we can get some form of maintenance to older open source
> releases as time permits, with collaboration from our fellow OS
> maintainers. Also, power users, who are able to compile source code for
> themselves get help too.
>
> Let me know if this is useful.

I love the idea, of course :-)

That being said, and as it's related to the other major fix in the upcoming
3.13.2, I'd love to see this resolved:

https://github.com/balabit/syslog-ng/pull/1800

In a nutshell, the elastic-v2 destination silently drops messages when the
ES cluster is gone. I think this is serious enough to justify a bugfix
release on its own.

What's blocking the merge is that I can't get *any* java logs to pop up
anywhere, thus I don't see what's wrong with the current implementation of
the fix.

Sorry for trying to bump this into 3.13.2, but I really think this is
important.