[syslog-ng] 3.13 maintenance branch

Scheidler, Balázs balazs.scheidler at balabit.com
Tue Jan 9 07:56:35 UTC 2018

Hi,

I have just pushed a branch containing a number of bugfixes for the 3.13
branch, that I felt would be useful to be published in various syslog-ng
binary packages over the existing 3.13.2 release that we produced a few
weeks ago.

https://github.com/balabit/syslog-ng/tree/3.13/master

The most important change is this:
https://github.com/balabit/syslog-ng/commit/7e96705ec0b3570857ed6cd66913999d8837db01

Which is bug that causes the elasticsearch2 destination SCL wrapper to
fails to start up if any __VARARGS__ is used. (see
https://github.com/balabit/syslog-ng/issues/1804).

The other patches are just my selection of fixes that were deemed low risk
to me.

We expect the next official syslog-ng release to be 3.14 at the end of
February, and I've felt this set of fixes would be useful even in the
meantime.

At this point, I take this as an experiment: if publishing fixes this way
"works" (e.g. fixes get published in the OS packages that we don't maintain
ourselves), then we can get some form of maintenance to older open source
releases as time permits, with collaboration from our fellow OS
maintainers. Also, power users, who are able to compile source code for
themselves get help too.

Let me know if this is useful.

Cheers,