[syslog-ng] tcp wrappers

Declan White declanw at is.bbc.co.uk
Thu Feb 15 13:07:00 UTC 2018

For what it's worth, we still use tcp wrappers here because the people who look after OS-dependant packet ACLs aren't the people who look after OS-agnostic application ACLs.

But saying that, if the application has no ACL capability we give it to xinetd, and it does the tcp wrappers instead, so as long as syslog-ng is xinetd-able there isn't a problem.

- Declan

On Thu, Feb 15, 2018 at 08:25:00AM +0100, Czanik, P?ter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running a poll about tcp wrappers on twitter:
> https://twitter.com/PCzanik/status/961985140128911361 but feedback is also
> very welcome here:
>
> Is there anybody still using tcp wrappers support built into syslog-ng on
> Fedora / RHEL / CentOS? Fedora rawhide removed support for tcp wrappers,
> and if nobody opposes I'd remove it from the rest of my pacages as well to
> keep packaging simple.
>
> Some background info for those who don't even know what I'm talking about:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Deprecate_TCP_wrappers
>
> (In short: it's really archaic stuff I last time used in 1995... :) )
>
> Bye,
>
> Peter Czanik (CzP) <peter.czanik at balabit.com>
> Balabit / syslog-ng upstream
> https://syslog-ng.com/blog/author/peterczanik/