[syslog-ng] CentOS cant start syslog-ng via systemd but runs fine manually

Andrew toranagtrx at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 05:12:02 UTC 2017

I recently updated my CentOS server so there were new versions of Java and
syslog-ng and I have been having issues ever since.

If I run it from systemd then it fails to load, yet if I run it manually it
works fine and pushes the logs into elasticsearch. When trying to run from
systemd it complains about Java plugin not being found.

systemctl start syslog-ng

Error parsing destination, destination plugin java not found in destination
block elasticsearch2 at line 2, column 3

If I run it manually by typing syslog-ng then it works just fine.