[syslog-ng] syslog-ng stats to ES ?

Scot scotrn at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 16:52:05 UTC 2017

syslog-ng-ctl fails with
* /usr/lib/systemd/system/syslog-ng.service *
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/syslog-ng --control /var/run/syslog-ng.ctl -F
$SYSLOGNG_OPTS -p /var/run/syslogd.pid

Looks like syslog-ng-ctl does NOT work when added as a CLI option.
Probably need to be added to an env file /etc/sysconfig.

*# ps -ef | grep syslog*
root     14293     1 24 12:37 ?        00:00:01 /usr/sbin/syslog-ng
--control /var/run/syslog-ng.ctl -F -p /var/run/syslogd.pid
root     14316 14120  0 12:37 pts/0    00:00:00 grep --color=auto syslog

*# lsof -p 14293  | grep ctl*
syslog-ng 14293 root    5u     unix 0xffff880310fbd800       0t0 41294162
/var/run/syslog-ng.ctl
*# lsof /var/run/syslog-ng.ctl*
COMMAND     PID USER   FD   TYPE             DEVICE SIZE/OFF     NODE NAME
syslog-ng 14293 root    5u  unix 0xffff880310fbd800      0t0 41294162
/var/run/syslog-ng.ctl
*# syslog-ng-ctl stats*
Error connecting control socket, socket='/var/lib/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.ctl',
error='Connection refused'
*# ls -al /var/lib/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.ctl*
srwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 0 Oct 17 17:19 /var/lib/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.ctl
*# ls -al /var/run/syslog-ng.ctl*
srwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 0 Oct 18 12:37 /var/run/syslog-ng.ctl

I shutdown syslog-ng removed the file and the ctl file from the
*syslog-ng.service  *
Looks like the default is /var/lib/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.ctl  everything runs
fine with that.

*# lsof -p 27812  |grep ctl*
syslog-ng 27812 root    5u     unix 0xffff88033269a400       0t0 41025397
/var/lib/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.ctl

One thing I did notice is query "*" adds .*written *metric for each
destination which is missing from syslog-ng-ctl stats (maybe expected I
didn't cross ref).