[syslog-ng] Cross-compiling syslog-ng 3.11.1 for an embedded application.

Scheidler, Balázs balazs.scheidler at balabit.com
Wed Oct 4 04:32:03 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Oct 3, 2017 21:25, "Robert King" <robert.king at tellabs.com> wrote:

*From:* syslog-ng [mailto:syslog-ng-bounces at lists.balabit.hu] *On Behalf Of
*Scheidler, Balázs
*Sent:* Monday, October 02, 2017 11:57 PM
*To:* Syslog-ng users' and developers' mailing list <
syslog-ng at lists.balabit.hu>

*Subject:* Re: [syslog-ng] Cross-compiling syslog-ng 3.11.1 for an embedded
application.

You seem to be missing automake in your build environment, which should
only be needed if you changed something.

Correct.  I’m not interested in changing anything.  Just getting it to
build in our cross-compilation environment.

I am not sure you are that interested in troubleshooting the build issue,
at least judging the last note you sent.

To be honest, after troubleshooting it for the past three weeks, I’m
getting sick of it.  I’ve brought in or updated four other open-source
packages that also used autoconfig, and none of them have given me the
problems syslog-ng has.

Syslog-ng uses pretty standard tools for building, so it should work pretty
easily, however we dont do crossbuilds ourselves.

Can you tell me why …/syslog-ng/syslog-ng is a script and why
…/syslog-ng/syslog-ng/.libs is empty when there are no errors during
configuration or building?  This is costing my company a lot of time and
money and if syslog-ng cannot be cross-compiled anymore, I need to know so
we can stop this and move on to other projects.

syslog-ng uses libtool that does that in the build directory and only
creates the binary when installing it.

We never explicitly broke or implemented cross compiling, it's a feature of
autotools that we use.

I am not sure why stuff is being regenerated during make install, it should
happen even for building in tree.

If those files exist already try touching them with touch to make sure
their timestamp is newer than the source files in which case or won't
rebuild them.

Again, so without your help and a civilized exchange of emails this can't
be troubleshot, as I never saw your environment, and can't check various
details that would affect compilation.

syslog-ng
FAQ: http://www.balabit.com/wiki/syslog-ng-faq