[syslog-ng] anyone know of a decent but easy to use syslog visualizer

Smith, Paul (Sr. Admin-InfoSec) Paul.C.Smith at snapon.com
Tue Aug 22 14:35:50 UTC 2017

Does anyone have a simple, easy to use, visualizer for syslogs that allows me to make new graphs quickly?

I am in need of getting dashboards from syslog events to our executive teams.

They don't know what information they want from these dashboards so I am trying to come up with some pretty graphs they can look at, and create new ones if they don't want that ones I do create. This way I can sketch things up quickly so they can see what can be graphed.

We are a small team in a really big shop and I have many other responsibilities. I don't have the time to spend mucking about with this stuff all day.

I'm trying to find a simple, easy to use visualizer that does not take me days to set up and configure.

I've tried so many articles about setting up things like ELK and others, and have had a problem getting most of them to work. I spend half a day on each one and something is just not quite right because the build instructions are a month or more out of date and there is something that has changed in a dependency.

Also, when trying to deal with creating logstash config files, I don't want to have to learn yet another config file syntax that I only need to touch 2-3 times per year. If I touch it at this frequency, I have to spend a day trying to remember what is what in the config file so I can make a new graph.

Paul Smith
InfoSec

Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it.
Those who do study history are doomed to stand by helplessly while everyone else repeats it.
Tom Toro