[syslog-ng] bug in syslog-ng 3.9.1 triggered by bug in ivykis >= 0.40

Balazs Scheidler bazsi77 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 19:02:07 UTC 2017

Thanks for letting us know. Do you happen​ to have a backtrace where this
happens?

On Apr 26, 2017 7:49 PM, "Lennert Buytenhek" <buytenh at wantstofly.org> wrote:

Hello!

(I subscribed to this mailing list to be able to post, but I have
mailing list mail delivery disabled -- please CC me on replies.)

A syslog-ng user tried to use syslog-ng with ivykis 0.41 and ran into
the following issue:

        https://github.com/buytenh/ivykis/issues/11

In a nutshell, syslog-ng seems to be registering an ivykis timer
(iv_timer) with timeout tv_sec = 0, tv_nsec = 0, and ivykis >= 0.40
added support for timerfd_create, but due to a bug in ivykis, this
{0, 0} timeout would get passed into timerfd_settime() verbatim, and
timerfd_settime() interprets this zero timeout as a request to disable
the timerfd, which would cause timer processing to stop.

I will release a new ivykis release with a workaround for this, but I
figured that you'd probably want to know about this as well, as I don't
think it makes sense for syslog-ng to be registering timers with an
absolute timeout of zero.

Cheers,
Lennert
product=syslog-ng