[syslog-ng] Insider 2016-09: 3.8.1 released; GSoC; Turris Omnia; meetups;

Czanik, Péter peter.czanik at balabit.com
Thu Sep 15 12:01:16 CEST 2016

Dear syslog-ng users,

This is the 51st issue of syslog-ng Insider, a monthly newsletter that
brings you syslog-ng-related news.

NEWS

syslog-ng 3.8.1 released

------------------------

I am happy to announce that after almost a year of development,
syslog-ng 3.8.1 has been released. This is the first stable release
from the syslog-ng 3.8 branch. Version 3.8.1 adds some long-awaited
features to syslog-ng and improves the performance of name-value-pair
related operations.

Announcement: https://www.balabit.com/blog/syslog-ng-hits-major-milestone-with-version-3-8-1-release/

Development, packaging related changes:
https://czanik.blogs.balabit.com/2016/08/syslog-ng-3-8-what-changed/

Google Summer of Code 2016

--------------------------

The syslog-ng project has a long tradition of participating in the
Google Summer of Code program. Each year some interesting new features
originate from GSoC students. Here are some of the blogs, where
students explain what they developed during the Summer:

Websocket destination: https://litterbear.github.io/2016-08-26-GSOC2016/

Release automation: http://black-perl.in/gsoc16-syslog-ng-autorel-summary/

Kafka source: https://vithulanmv.wordpress.com/2016/08/21/syslog-ng-kafka-source-in-depth-analysis/

As command line tool:
https://kvch.github.io/syslog-ng-as-a-command-line-tool.html

If you are at the GSoC mentor summit (Sunnyvale, California, October
28-30, https://sites.google.com/site/2016gsocmentorsummit/home), you
can even meet one of our mentors, Viktor Juhász, at the event. As a
syslog-ng developer, he can talk to you about syslog-ng, even get you
started developing syslog-ng.

Coming up: All Things Open

--------------------------

My next syslog-ng presentation will be in Raleigh, NC, at the All
Things Open conference. I will talk about scaling a logging
infrastructure using syslog-ng:
https://allthingsopen.org/talk/scaling-your-logging-infrastructure/

syslog-ng in the Turris Omnia Linux router

The Turris Omnia is a Linux-based router running on an ARM CPU. As it
turned out during a conference discussion, this popular little device
is running syslog-ng:
https://czanik.blogs.balabit.com/2016/06/turris-omnia-a-linux-router-powered-by-syslog-ng/

If you know of anything that could be added to
https://syslog-ng.org/powered-by-syslog-ng/, let me know!

syslog-ng at meetups

--------------------

There were two meetups this summer where a member of Balabit’s crew
talked about syslog-ng. Both were quite a positive experience. If you
know of a meetup where participants might be interested in syslog-ng,
please let me know! I can be reached by e-mail or on Twitter as
@PCzanik

San Francisco: https://bazsi.blogs.balabit.com/2016/07/syslog-ng-in-san-francisco/

London: https://www.balabit.com/blog/linuxing-in-london/

NEW RELEASES

syslog-ng 3.8.1:
https://www.balabit.com/blog/syslog-ng-hits-major-milestone-with-version-3-8-1-release/

SSB 4F4: https://istvanszabo.blogs.balabit.com/2016/07/improve-the-efficiency-of-security-operations-by-automatically-finding-critical-events/

Your feedback and news, or tips about the next issue are welcome at
documentation at balabit.com. To read this newsletter online, visit:
https://syslog-ng.org/

Peter Czanik (CzP) <peter.czanik at balabit.com>
Balabit / syslog-ng upstream