[syslog-ng] Insider 2016-11: Enrichment; Elasticsearch; LISA; FreeBSD; All Things Open;

Czanik, Péter peter.czanik at balabit.com
Thu Nov 10 10:59:19 UTC 2016

Dear syslog-ng users,

This is the 52nd issue of syslog-ng Insider, a monthly newsletter that
brings you syslog-ng-related news.

NEWS

Enriching log messages
----------------------
Log messages already contain a wealth of information about what is
happening in your systems. Still, logs can be enriched with additional
information – like the geolocation belonging to an IP address – which
can improve the usability of logs considerably. Read how you can
enrich log messages in real-time using syslog-ng at
https://www.balabit.com/blog/enriching-log-messages-with-additional-information/

What is new in syslog-ng PE and SSB
-----------------------------------
Join us at our next webinar on November 15, where you can learn about
new syslog-ng PE and SSB features like content-based alerting,
multiple log spaces, key=value parser and Big Data destinations.
You can register at http://go.balabit.com/q9VU0A0F5l0E7Q03Z0zY00T

Logging to Elasticsearch simplified
-----------------------------------
Elasticsearch is gaining the momentum as the ultimate destination for
log messages. A great part of it is Kibana, but also that it is a
scalable storage of arbitrary name-value pairs. Read, how the use of
syslog-ng can greatly simplify how logs reach Elasticsearch:
https://www.balabit.com/blog/logging-to-elasticsearch-made-simple-with-syslog-ng/

Coming up: LISA
---------------
You can learn about syslog-ng at the Balabit booth #145 at LISA (Large
Installation System Administration) conference in Boston. Expo days
are on December 7 and 8: https://www.usenix.org/conference/lisa16/expo

syslog-ng with Java support on FreeBSD
--------------------------------------
Java destinations on FreeBSD are not supported by the syslog-ng team
and for technical reasons (it downloads JAR files from the Internet)
it is also marked broken in FreeBSD ports. Luckily it does not prevent
it from working: some people even use it it production. Learn, how to
get started at https://www.balabit.com/blog/test-the-latest-freebsd-with-syslog-ng-3-8-1/

All Things Open
---------------
Last week I visited All Things Open, one of the largest open source
conferences of the US East Coast. I was presenting syslog-ng in the
Operations track of the conference, but luckily I had a chance to stay
for the full two days of the event. Read my experiences at: TBD

Your feedback and news, or tips about the next issue are welcome at
documentation at balabit.com. To read this newsletter online, visit:
https://syslog-ng.org/

Peter Czanik (CzP) <peter.czanik at balabit.com>
Balabit / syslog-ng upstream