[syslog-ng] Finding feature owner for Kafka source project

Laszlo Budai laszlo.budai at outlook.com
Sun May 22 06:06:40 CEST 2016

Sent from my HTC

----- Reply message -----
From: "Vincent Bernat" <bernat at luffy.cx>
To: "Laszlo Budai" <laszlo.budai at outlook.com>
Subject: [syslog-ng] Finding feature owner for Kafka source project
Date: Sat, May 21, 2016 23:58

❦ 21 mai 2016 11:58 -0700, Laszlo Budai <laszlo.budai at outlook.com> :

> As you mentioned we have Kafka destination driver written in C in
> syslog-ng incubator, so users can use it. It should not be a problem
> if a feature is available only in the syslog-ng incubator.

Well, it is because most users will never use it.
I don't know why... maybe we should make it clear what is incubator.For me it contains two kind of features:1) experimental features that are not really tested, and maybe the code would also neee some polishment before merge into syslog-ng master2) well implemented features that are  using some unstable dependencies> As the Kafka C client is stable enough, I don't see any problems in
> integrating it to the syslog-ng master (just someone should create a
> pull request).

Good to know. That's not what you told me in August. I will fix the
performance limitations and do a PR for master.I said that my plan is to keep the C kafka dst in incubator. Last year ;)But Kafka C lib seems to be a stable lib during the last 8-9 months which makes it possible to move forward from incubator.
L.--
Make it right before you make it faster.