[syslog-ng] [GSOC]Some questions about the project:WebSocket for syslog-ng

Yilin Li liyilin1214 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 17:28:13 CET 2016

@Laci Mészáros   @Fabien Wernli
Thanks for your reply.
You really inspired me.

I thinks I should make the new Websocket Destination support two mode in
its configuration

1) client mode
Just send the log message to another Websocket Server

2) Server mode
The new WebSocket destination itself serves as a Websocket Server.  It has
a log messages buffer.  The log messages send to the destination are stored
in the buffer (If the buffer is full then the oldest message is overrided).
Then other WebSocket clients(Such as a web browser) can directly connect to
the Websocket Server to subscribe the messsage. This is the  pub-sub
communication that @faxmodem and @Fabien mentioned.
Then I plan to define some syntax that the  WebSocket destination can
understand to filter the log message. So the WebSocket Client can send its
filter definition and get the logs it want from the new WebSocket
destination.

What do you think about this idea?  Any suggestions?

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 08:31:47AM +0800, Yilin Li wrote:
> > 1) WebSocket support two-way communication. However, I found only one-way
> > communication will be used in the project Idea. If this destination will
> be
> > used for alerting, what are the advantages of using Websocket? Is it
> mainly
> > for supporting another new protocol or better performance of WebSocket ?
>
> As I previously said [1] I think it would be great to have a subscription
> mechanism, so the client would sent its filter definition (e.g.
> `program(sshd)`) and the destination would send it the logs that match this
> filter.
>
> But maybe this is out of scope?
>
> [1] https://lists.balabit.hu/pipermail/syslog-ng/2016-February/022686.html

> Documentation:

Thanks,
Yilin  Li
--
Institute of Software Chinese Academy of Sciences