[syslog-ng] Insider 2016-03: GSoC; disk buffer; Rust; blogs; DevConf.cz

Czanik, Péter peter.czanik at balabit.com
Thu Mar 10 12:53:59 CET 2016

Dear syslog-ng users,

This is the 48th issue of the syslog-ng Insider, a monthly newsletter
that brings you syslog-ng-related news.

NEWS

Google Summer of Code (GSoC)

----------------------------

The syslog-ng project will participate GSoC this year again. We
published our application form:
https://syslog-ng.org/gsoc-2016-applicant-form-syslog-ng-project/ As
you can see, we plan to publish a GsoC release once the coding period
is over. Topics cover many different aspects of syslog-ng, from
release engineering through database connections to message
correlation.

Disk-based buffering

--------------------

Disk-based buffering is now merged to syslog-ng git master and will be
part of syslog-ng 3.8. It can be used for storing messages on the
local hard disk if the central log server or the network connection to
the server becomes unavailable. The syslog-ng application
automatically sends the stored messages to the server when the
connection is reestablished.

For details and information how to test it now read https://syslog-ng.org/493-2/

Rust: Filling the parse() method

Tibor Benke has posted an article about writing a parser that uses
regular expressions in Rust. Read more at
https://syslog-ng.org/filling-the-parse-method/

Parsers in syslog-ng: making sense of Zorp firewall logs

Figuring out how to parse your firewall logs is not always easy. This
blogpost shows you some useful log-parsing techniques. For the
examples, I use the logs of the Zorp proxy firewall.

https://czanik.blogs.balabit.com/2016/03/making-sense-of-zorp-firewall-logs-using-syslog-ng/

Community driven blogging