[syslog-ng] syslog-ng 3.7.x support on armv7 architecture

Scheidler, Balázs balazs.scheidler at balabit.com
Wed Feb 10 13:32:17 CET 2016

Hi Girish,

Those architectures that are listed were known to work in specific points
in time and are not guaranteed to remain so. Also, syslog-ng is an
application written in C and is aimed to be portable to a number of
architectures, which we also demonstrated in the amount of platforms that
we support.

On this community mailing list, all we can do is help you if you have
specific questions/issues. This may or may not match your level of
expectations, but we can only guarantee that we put "best effort" in
answering your questions and no guarantees.

Back to armv7, just like Peter Czanik has answered, we know about syslog-ng
being used on this architecture, so it should theoretically be possible,
but it's not something that the developers use every day, or which would be
a primary platform (those being Linux distributions).

The toolchain and the environment matters, syslog-ng depends on a number of
external libraries (glib for example, which you had an issue with in the
past), and we generally assume that those are present on the system already.

That being said, Balabit does provide support for various platforms and as
a commercial entity has the means and willingness to do testing in a wider
variety of platforms and architectures. If you would like support
guarantees, Balabit can most probably give that.

The best course of action seems to be for you to:
1) continue your trial and error in compiling syslog-ng, and ask if there's
a concrete issue. We will answer to the best of our ability.
2) try contacting Balabit sales if the response you get on this mailing
list is not enough to get your issues resolved.

I am really happy to help, just like I did in the past.

Disclaimer: I am employed by Balabit (being the CTO there), however I wrote
this email as a member of the open source syslog-ng community. I don't want
to push anything here, the only reason I wrote this email is that I started
sensing a mismatch of what the community can provide and what you can
expect.

I hope this helps,