[syslog-ng] elasticsearch 5 on rhe 6.4

Russell Fulton r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Dec 8 02:30:24 UTC 2016

Hi

I had syslog-ng 3.8.1 (built from tar ball) working nicely with ES 2.x running on the local machine as a pilot.  Last week I got two new machines to run ES on with lots of memory and SSD.   I installed ES 5.x on them and upgraded ES to 5.x on the original pilot machine.

So I now have a cluster of 3.

Back to the original machine that has the feed from syslog-ng I was puzzled by the stream of error messages regarding 2.x client that was trying to connect.  It took me a while to figure out that this must be the syslog-ng plug in.  Stopping syslog-ng stopped the errors.

A web search quickly found:

https://www.balabit.com/blog/syslog-ng-and-elasticsearch-5-getting-started-on-rhelcentos/

So I set about reinstalling syslog-ng from Peter’s repos — there were some issues but I got there without too much problem. (see notes at the end).

My config file matched the blog example pretty closely - I need to add the http transport for ES 5.x but that was the only change,

When I tried to start the new version of syslog-ng I get an error saying that it can not find the elasticsearch2 plugin.  I can’t find any reference to insgtalling the plugin in the post.  Did I miss something.

My old config also had @module mod-java line but this does not appear to make any difference.

I have gone back to the 3.8 manual but can not find anything about having to install the ES plugin so I am thoroughly puzzled.

Any ideas what is wrong?

Russell

Problems with the syslog-ng epel 6 repos:

since I was on RHE 6 I figured I needed the epel6 rather than the epel7 repo so I
 wget https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/czanik/syslog-ng38/repo/epel-6/czanik-syslog-ng38-epel-6.repo
but when I tried to install Yum said

https://copr-be.cloud.fedoraproject.org/results/czanik/syslog-ng38/epel-6-x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] PYCURL ERROR 22 - "The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found”

After a little poking I figured that the url should be /syslog-ng38eple6/  and that worked.