[syslog-ng] ELK herd to scale

Scot Needy scotrn at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 16:33:31 CEST 2016

Yes, It is “unsupported”  but I did not want to start out completing the deployment behind a release.

I think its getting a bit off topic.  The decision I am trying to make is on logstash.

Without it I seem to loose the ability to use a majority of the public templates out there for Kibanna dashboards and log filter templates from the logstash community.
With logstash I need to daisy chain this log management process to import data and my ASA logs are always behind.

I still have a couple of weeks of testing and tuning and figuring out stuff before I start my chef cookbooks.

CentOS Linux release 7.2.1511 ISO
elasticsearch-2.3.1 from RPM
kibana-4.5.0-linux-x64 from DOWNLOAD
syslog-ng 3.8.0alpha0 from GIT
Installer-Version: 3.8.0alpha0
Revision:
Module-Directory: /opt/syslog-ng/lib/syslog-ng
Module-Path: /opt/syslog-ng/lib/syslog-ng
Available-Modules: syslogformat,afsocket,affile,afprog,afuser,afamqp,afmongodb,afsmtp,csvparser,confgen,system-source,linux-kmsg-format,basicfuncs,cryptofuncs,dbparser,json-plugin,geoip-plugin,afstomp,pseudofile,graphite,sdjournal,mod-java,kvformat,date,cef,disk-buffer
Enable-Debug: off
Enable-GProf: off
Enable-Memtrace: off
Enable-IPv6: on