[syslog-ng] Syslog ng and Mysql

Jim Hendrick jrhendri at roadrunner.com
Fri Sep 18 14:52:55 CEST 2015

Hi Arash,

   You could consider a very simple design where the log retention is
kept as flat files on disk, with the "searchable" time period in
Elasticsearch (or whatever)

As I see the advantages:
- you can use cheap storage for the retention (since they will not need
to be regularly read back or searched)
- since you are not adding anything to the data (as happens whenever a
log is "parsed" into CEF, json or whatever) this is the most storage
efficient form that still preserves all the information
- flat files compress extremely well (8 - 10 times with standard gzip)
- syslog-ng can easily create files by date, system, whatever so log
retention, compression, rotation is trivial
- if you need to search something outside your search time window, the
files are readily available to be re-indexed or whatever
- if you need to share logs with anyone (e.g. a vendor for
troubleshooting, an investigation, etc.) gzipped text files are pretty
much universally acceptable
- you don't even need to backup your search tool, since you can always
re-index if necessary
- you can even add basic integrity checking by checksumming the files
(maybe even before and after compression)

Then the search tool (elasticsearch for example) can store a shorter
time period (maybe 90 days) and roll off older indices.
- makes the search tool faster (fewer logs to search)
- simpler to implement (e.g. no backups required)
- can use faster / more expensive storage since you need less of it

I have found that even security investigations rarely need anything
beyond 90 days (not *never* but less than 5% of investigations in my
experience).

This meets PCI (i.e. store a year at least with 3 months immediately
available online)

Not saying you can't (or shouldn't) use the search tool for retention -
I just like to consider them separately (with correlation / SIEM being a
third piece) when designing a logging & monitoring architecture)

Just something to think about.

Jim