[syslog-ng] Parsing more than MSG macro

Thomas Straubinger thomas.straubinger at nic.at
Thu Mar 12 11:14:29 CET 2015

Thanks Gergely, works fine! :-)

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: syslog-ng-bounces at lists.balabit.hu [mailto:syslog-ng-bounces at lists.balabit.hu] Im Auftrag von Gergely Nagy
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 11. März 2015 11:43
An: syslog-ng at lists.balabit.hu
Betreff: Re: [syslog-ng] Parsing more than MSG macro

    Thomas> Hello,
    Thomas> is there a way to process more than the $MSG macro with a
    Thomas> syslog-ng parse filter?

You can use the template() setting within the parser...

    Thomas> We are forwarding our syslogs via rsyslog in this format (client config):

    Thomas> $template tmpl_forward,"%hostname% %syslogtag% \"%msg%\"\n"
    Thomas> *.* @@syslog:514;tmpl_forward

...though in this case, I would recommend using flags(no-parse) in the
source that consumes these messages. Then $MSG will contain the whole
line, and you are free to parse it in whatever way you wish. (Though, to
parse the date part, properly, you may need a very recent syslog-ng)