[syslog-ng] syslog-ng always using default permissions

Peter Eckel lists at eckel-edv.de
Sun Jan 4 13:05:58 CET 2015

Hi Peter,

> As a co-maintainer of the Fedora/EPEL syslog-ng package, I'd like to
> ask what is the reason for compiling syslog-ng yourself. Is there a
> feature missing from the official packages?

I don't know about Andrey's reason, but I had to do it once because I needed OpenSSL linked in statically. While generally not a good idea, it was necessary because in the particular OS release OpenSSL was in /usr/lib and not available during startup, so I could not use Syslog NG as a replacement for the standard syslogd. Both (TLS support and use as a syslogd replacement) were required at that time, so I reluctantly decided to create an RPM I derived from the EPEL one.

Best regards,

  Peter.