[syslog-ng] Issues running syslog-ng-ctl program locally to determine logging issues

Matt Zagrabelny mzagrabe at d.umn.edu
Thu Apr 16 18:29:08 CEST 2015

On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 1:57 AM, C. L. Martinez <carlopmart at gmail.com> wrote:

> Fantastic work Matt ... I am testing your script in a syslog-ng
> collector server:

[...]

> .. and only shows me UDP stats. What about TCP stats?? I am receiving
> logs via TCP in this host ...

You'll want to verify/tweak a few things:

netstat -anus

runs and yields something like:

Udp:
    1116688 packets received
    7373 packets to unknown port received.
    0 packet receive errors

You'll want to make sure that the user that runs the script can also run:

syslog-ng-ctl stats

and you'll want to change the script and replace:

source;s_udp;;a;processed;

with a string that makes sense for your UDP source.

Similarly, you'll want to change

source;s_tls;;a;processed;

to something that makes sense (for your TCP or TLS) logging.

Again, this script just executes a couple commands and scrapes the
data and shows how the data changes over time.

Let me know if you've got further questions.

-m