[syslog-ng] Issues running syslog-ng-ctl program locally to determine logging issues

C. L. Martinez carlopmart at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 08:57:55 CEST 2015

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 4:35 PM, Matt Zagrabelny <mzagrabe at d.umn.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 11:16 AM, Andrew Bell <abell at factset.com> wrote:
>> Also would like to throw out that I am open to using strace or some other
>> debug hook program to figure out the cause here if that would help better,
>> just would like a pointer as to how I would go about using it to identify
>> dropped logs.
>
> I wrote a small perl program (attached) to query syslog-ng-ctl and
> netstat to see buffer sizes and thus identify if logs are being
> dropped.
>
> It loops forever and once a second (or defined interval) it runs:
>
> syslog-ng-ctl to get the UDP messages processed
> syslog-ng-ctl to get the TLS (TCP) messages processed
> netstat to get the UDP errors
> netstat to get the UDP packets received
>
> It then prints out the rate of change of those four values and you can
> see if the "graph" is plateauing - which for the logs processed
> indicates some sort of bottleneck - or if there are peaks and valleys
> which indicate syslog-ng is able to handle the load.
>
> -m

Fantastic work Matt ... I am testing your script in a syslog-ng
collector server:

Rate of UDP packet RX:      0, Rate of UDP packet RX errors:      0
Rate of UDP packet RX:      0, Rate of UDP packet RX errors:      0
Rate of UDP packet RX:      0, Rate of UDP packet RX errors:      0
Rate of UDP packet RX:      0, Rate of UDP packet RX errors:      0
Rate of UDP packet RX:      0, Rate of UDP packet RX errors:      0
Rate of UDP packet RX:      0, Rate of UDP packet RX errors:      0
Rate of UDP packet RX:      0, Rate of UDP packet RX errors:      0
Rate of UDP packet RX:      0, Rate of UDP packet RX errors:      0
Rate of UDP packet RX:      0, Rate of UDP packet RX errors:      0
Rate of UDP packet RX:      2, Rate of UDP packet RX errors:      0
[...]

.. and only shows me UDP stats. What about TCP stats?? I am receiving
logs via TCP in this host ...