[syslog-ng] syslog-ng as "shipper" into ELK stack

Alexandre Biancalana biancalana at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 17:42:57 CEST 2014

On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 9:36 AM, Radu Gheorghe <radu.gheorghe at sematext.com>
wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> With rabbitmq you have the advantage that you can install the RabbitMQ
> river and have Elasticsearch pull logs from Rabbit instead of having
> another [moving] piece pull logs from Rabbit and push them to ES. So you'd
> have a simpler setup that also makes sure ES isn't overwhelmed (because ES
> is pulling).

Another point that can be an advantage is that with Redis you are limited
to the RAM memory available on the machine (all your data need to fit in
memory) , with RabbitMQ you have disk persistence that can help in cases
where you need to stop ES consumption by any reason.

> There are some problems with this approach:
> - the river only runs on one node at a time, which may become a bottleneck
> - rivers are deprecated (or will be) so the ES side isn't actively
> maintained. I've seen failover issues (node running the river goes down,
> another node should start the river but doesn't) which needed river delete
> + recreate to kick the process in again

I didn't know that, I will check it out.