[syslog-ng] syslog-ng as "shipper" into ELK stack

Radu Gheorghe radu.gheorghe at sematext.com
Mon Oct 6 14:36:08 CEST 2014

Hi Jim,

With rabbitmq you have the advantage that you can install the RabbitMQ
river and have Elasticsearch pull logs from Rabbit instead of having
another [moving] piece pull logs from Rabbit and push them to ES. So you'd
have a simpler setup that also makes sure ES isn't overwhelmed (because ES
is pulling).

There are some problems with this approach:
- the river only runs on one node at a time, which may become a bottleneck
- rivers are deprecated (or will be) so the ES side isn't actively
maintained. I've seen failover issues (node running the river goes down,
another node should start the river but doesn't) which needed river delete
+ recreate to kick the process in again

Logstash started by recommending RabbitMQ as the queue between two Logstash
instances, but now moved to Redis. Apparently the reason is that Redis
plays nicely with Logstash, and Rabbit didn't, here's a quote from the guide
<http://logstash.net/docs/1.1.1/tutorials/getting-started-centralized>:

"Previous versions of this guide used AMQP via RabbitMQ. Due to the
complexity of AMQP as well as performance issues related to the Bunny
driver we use, we're now recommending Redis instead."

Best regards,
Radu