[syslog-ng] SQL escaping

Nikolay P nikolay.p at cos.flag.org
Sun Nov 23 20:19:04 CET 2014

Hello.

My syslog-ng (version 3.4.8) logs some messages into the PostgreSQL database. I am going to setup a web page which will display those logs.

I submitted log entry "alert('123')" surrounded by "script" html tags and displayed content of the database table on a web page.

Javascript alerted "123" which means it is a XSS vulnerability.

I am not in control of incoming log messages and they can containt anything, so I have no trust to them.

Is there anything I can do from the syslog-ng side of things to close this XSS vulnerability or I have to deal with it in my Web application?