[syslog-ng] s High availabilty configuration

Terry Slattery tcs at netcraftsmen.net
Mon Mar 10 18:58:39 CET 2014

My recommendation to customers who need high reliability is to run two
instances, each in a separate data center. Configure all gear to send to both
servers. If syslog forwarding to other consumers is needed, manually configure
it on one of the two servers. Upon a failure, confirmed by a human, the servers
are reconfigured for forwarding. Many syslog consumers can't handle more than
one feed, thus the need to reconfigure upon a failure.

This isn't optimum for a site that wants automatic operation. However, building
a system that can properly determine and avoid split-brain failures (where the
two systems can't talk with one another, but the network gear can send to them)
is an "interesting challenge." It would be easy to build something to generate
an alert when the two systems can't talk with one another and make this alert
the highest priority. Humans can then step in to diagnose the problem and take
the appropriate action. Meanwhile, both systems are logging whatever they
receive, which may be the whole feed or a part of a feed, if the network becomes
partitioned.

	-tcs

--
Terry Slattery    CCIE# 1026