[syslog-ng] High availabilty configuration

Balazs Scheidler bazsi77 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 08:57:41 CET 2014

You basically have two options:

1. use Linux-HA or keepalived or something similar to coordinate
master-slave relationship. Have syslog-ng listen on the service IP. Perhaps
combine this with DNS round robin to balance the load between the nodes.

2. Use an external load balancer that distributes connections between
hosts. This only works as long as you have many clients as load balancers
tend to balance based on a per connection basis.

The complexity of the whole thing is when you want to merge messages
delivered to either of the cluster members. You can either do that after
the fact (syslog-ng will not help you here, it just puts messages in plain
text files), or use some kind of nosql db that provides sharding and
eventual consistency.

Hth,