[syslog-ng] syslog-ng OSE 3.5.1 is not accepting global options

Tamayo, Andres Andres.Tamayo at viasat.com
Wed Mar 5 23:24:48 CET 2014

Hello,

I have found a solution to the problem (syslog-ng OSE 3.5.1 is not accepting global options) but I still do not understand what is the cause of the problem.

First some background information.  I have built syslog-ng into a buildroot toolchain and flashed into an embedded development board.  When I was prototyping my syslog-ng configuration file in the host computer, I was able to use configuration like this:

time_reopen(10);

However, when I started to use syslog-ng on the embedded target, the configuration previously mentioned did not work.  If I included this line in my syslog-ng.conf file; syslog-ng would automatically assume time_reopen was equal to zero and show debug messages like this one:

syslog connection failed; fd='8', server='AF_INET(192.168.1.10:1901)', error='Connection refused (146)', time_reopen='0'

If I deleted that configuration line from the configuration file, syslog-ng would use its default value.  This is the message I would see if the configuration line was removed:

syslog connection failed; fd='8', server='AF_INET(192.168.1.10:1901)', error='Connection refused (146)', time_reopen='60'

But what if I needed to use time_reopen=10 instead.

Anyway, as I said in the beginning I do now know what is causing this behavior but I found a solution.....hex notation.  If I use the following configuration line instead:

time_reopen(0xa);

Then, I would see the following syslog-ng debug message:

syslog connection failed; fd='8', server='AF_INET(192.168.1.10:1901)', error='Connection refused (146)', time_reopen='10'

The same is true for the following configuration items:

flush_timeout

log_fetch_limit

log_iw_size

log_fifo_size

max-connections

There may be other configuration items that exhibit the same behavior.

If anybody can explain why this is happening I would appreciate an explanation, thank you.

I hope this helps.