[syslog-ng] debian init files gone wrong? (Due to git reorg?)

Gergely Nagy algernon at balabit.hu
Wed Feb 12 13:17:02 CET 2014

Valentijn Sessink <valentyn at blub.net> writes:

> On 12-02-14 11:24, Gergely Nagy wrote:
>> If you want to build a proper debian package, please use the
>> packaging/debian/3.5 branch from my repository:
>>  https://github.com/algernon/syslog-ng/tree/packaging/debian/3.5
>
> Ah, that explains what happened :)
>
> Problem is, I'm building 3.6 (alpha-alpha-0.00) :-)

The 3.5 branch should work for that, just update the submodule and bump
the version in debian/changelog, and you're good to go =)

> Anyway, with the historical debian/ tree in place, it's remarkable how
> easy it was to get the source to (sort of) build and run. It did not
> build separate -core and other packages, just one big fat syslog-ng
> deb-file, but, after some changes to the config file and restoring a few
> files from a real syslog-ng package, it does (sort of) run.

Yeah, it has its advantages, indeed. I plan to make the debian packaging
configurable, so you'll be able to build a single fat package instead of
-core and -mod-* ones, in a simple way.