[syslog-ng] debian init files gone wrong? (Due to git reorg?)

Gergely Nagy algernon at balabit.hu
Wed Feb 12 11:24:47 CET 2014

Valentijn Sessink <valentyn at blub.net> writes:

> Building syslog-ng from source posed a few problems, one of them being
> debian/syslog-ng.init that missed a crucial option:

The debian/ directory in the current syslog-ng source is useless and
should not be used. It is only there for historical reasons and because
internal tools here at BalaBit depend on it. I'm working on making it
possible to drop it, along with the RPM .spec file and other
unmaintained packaging bits. (I will likely add a note to all of them,
until they can be dropped.)

If you want to build a proper debian package, please use the
packaging/debian/3.5 branch from my repository:
 https://github.com/algernon/syslog-ng/tree/packaging/debian/3.5

(Similar branch exists for 3.3 and 3.4, if you want those instead.)

The debian/README.source file in that tree explains how to build a
package out of it.