[syslog-ng] Recommended Data base

Jakub Jankowski shasta at toxcorp.com
Mon Aug 18 23:14:45 CEST 2014

On 18.08.2014 23:06, VMI X wrote:
> Hi,
> Currently we're logging everything to text files for a few LAN clients.
> We're considering using a database instead and have a few questions to
> help us decide:
>
>   * Would a database be a good option to replace existing text files for
>     long term storage considering storage space?
>   * Would mongo OR mysql be better suited for storing system logs?
>
> I understand answers to these questions can vary depending on specific
> use case but seeking a general recommendation to see what's typically
> being used and what the most stable/supported options would be.

Why don't you test it yourself by logging to *both* text files (as you
do now) and a database? That would get you some data to compare, and
what's best about it - that would be your data, your use-cases, etc.

HTH,
  Jakub.

--
Jakub Jankowski|shasta at toxcorp.com|http://toxcorp.com/
GPG: FCBF F03D 9ADB B768 8B92 BB52 0341 9037 A875 942D