[syslog-ng] Basic (?) multi line question

jrhendri at roadrunner.com jrhendri at roadrunner.com
Wed Apr 23 19:40:09 CEST 2014

Hi,

  I am trying to parse data elements out of a variable number of log lines that all are associated by a single unique key.

Specifically - they are Cisco IronPort email logs that have various "ID" fields (MID - message ID is the most common)

Essentially I want to pull the MID out of the line marked marked:

"Start MID (\d+) <other stuff>"

 and then process every line that matches that specific MID value as part of the message.

Note: they all have this string included somewhere:

"MID (\d+) "

Up to a reasonable timeout - or ended by:

 "Message finished mid (\d+) done" with the matching ID.

Is this possible with syslog-ng? (OSE or PE?)

I thought I had seen something using patterndb but I cannot seem to find the reference

Clearly there will be interleaved lines with *different* MIDs that need to be processed independently.

Thanks in advance!
Jim