[syslog-ng] Upcoming changes regarding my Debian/Ubuntu packages

Gergely Nagy algernon at balabit.hu
Mon Mar 4 11:34:35 CET 2013

Hi!

For a good while now, I've been providing Debian and Ubuntu packages[1]
for syslog-ng, and rest assured, I will continue to do so. However, the
way they are prepared and how the repository is structured, will change.

At the moment, there are two different components one can choose from:
syslog-ng and syslog-ng-devel, which have packages for 3.3 and 3.4,
respectively. However, -devel is not appropriate for 3.4 anymore, but I
don't want to move it to syslog-ng either, partly because up to this
point, there were no Ubuntu Lucid packages of 3.4.

So, I will be making the following changes:

 * I'll create syslog-ng-3.3, syslog-ng-3.4 and syslog-ng-3.5 components
 * syslog-ng will point to the latest stable branch (3.4)
 * syslog-ng will point to the current development branch (3.5)
 * I'll be preparing Ubuntu Lucid packages for 3.4 too, so all branches
   will be available for every debian or ubuntu system that are still
   supported by their respective vendors.

To be able to provide Ubuntu Lucid (10.04) packages sanely, I have to do
the packaging a little bit differently: the source package will not be
shared between debian and ubuntu anymore, and systemd support will be
explicitly disabled on Ubuntu. But since Ubuntu uses upstart by default,
ubuntu systems with systemd are fairly unlikely anyway.

I plan to make these changes once 3.4.2 comes out. Until then, I'll
introduce the syslog-ng-3.3 and -3.4 components, but syslog-ng will
point to -3.3 still, and -devel to -3.4. Once 3.4.2 is out, though, I'll
change the symlinks.

 [1]: http://asylum.madhouse-project.org/projects/debian/